I viewed the favicon "*******/favicon.ico" and it showed mine, but the browser was still stuck on the borrowed one. So now I deleted the borrowed favicon and replaced it with mine. That worked for me yesterday for your site, my site and Statcounter. By the way Statcounter according to the validator does not appear to have a link in their code to a favicon. If you see a large version of it in your folder then IE will see it.I ended up deleting the favicon from the server, and clearing everything again. 2) You need to remove any evidence of IE ever having visited the URL. Select Temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History and if you are using IE8, Preserve Favorites website data. 3) Now check that you do not have any Bookmark to that URL, delete them if you do. BTW - you do not need to specify anything in the page source, IE automatically looks for a favicon in the root directory.The page source includes and it does work in other browsers. The source of the issue was the file was a jpg renamed to ico.
The favicon displays as expected in all browsers except IE.
When trying to display the favicon in IE, I get the big red x; when displaying the favicon in another browser, it displays just fine.
THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT.
IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.
If I now decide to move the favicon to the images folder or change the image it will still use what it found the first visit.
Seeing as it doesn't need me to specify the favicon I just left that line out.
I had tried overwriting but it didn't seem to replace it because I would "view" it from the FTP program and it was the same old one.
I also viewed " in both FF & IE and they showed the borrowed favicon. But now I had to remove the borrowed one and replace it with mine. Now to see if I can get the animated favicon working in FF and not loose ground I've gained in IE LOLOK, I believe I have it. From what I have read, and what I have learned through this exercise, the first time IE sees a URL it then determines what favicon to show, the one it finds, or the browser's default.
I can view the page on my PC in FF and see the favicon, not in IE.